Saturday, July 11, 2009

Living in Korea

I've been wanting to write a blog about this but thought I might freak myself writing it.
I thought a few people might wonder how it has been recently since there has been so much going on with North Korea in the news.
Personally I have been a bit freaked out! I have been fighting anxiety, but I have been working through it. We have great supportive friends and God who is in control and can give peace. I have to keep reminding myself of this.
I will also say that if I didn't look at Yahoo I wouldn't have any idea what was going on. We live near a military base and have friends who are in the military. We have a lot of friends who are connected with other people in the military. They haven't given us any reason for alarm. Unfortunately the media likes to put as much hype and danger into everything. I won't say that everything is peachy, because I'm sure that they are staying on high alert.
I believe that it has been on the Korean news stations, but I really can't say what the level of alarm is with them. We know by how people act. Honestly if we went by them we would have to say there isn't a problem. The people here haven't even given a hint of being alarmed. I'm so glad of that.
I think moving up here closer to the border has given me a little more nerves than I had thought it would. In that I would appreciate your prayers. It is a bit unnerving when the fighters fly over during there drills. But it also keeps us aware that they are staying ready.

We are continuing to love our school. As of late I have had some stress regarding classes where the students like to play and not listen. They have changed my schedule to see if some other classes might be a better fit. So far it has been a good change and the other teachers involved seem to be okay with it. We are really hoping and looking forward to staying here. We haven't signed a new contract yet, but things are looking promising.
The kids are a bit more challenging these days. I think it is because summer is here and they would rather be outside. Vacation is coming up for them - which means some time off, but also more intensive classes. We will be doing some intensive classes, but only for a few hours each week. The rainy season is also here and you would think that the kids would be sleepy and drowsy, but I think they get a little wired being cooped up all day. I'm trying to think of new ways to keep my students interested.

We are enjoying our new "babies." We each kind of have our own cat now. Orion has taken to me and Callie to Cameron. They both loved to be loved on. They are both the sweetest. Neither have been aggressive to us at all. Unfortunately Orion came down with a cough this week so I took him to the vet near us. All I could do is picture the Garfield cartoons while trying to take him out of his carrier - both paws clinging to the sides of the opening. It was quite humorous. I'm hoping to get the medicine thing down a bit better. He definitely wasn't excited about being pinned down with a syringe of meds shoved into his mouth. We are just hoping Callie won't get it.

We are getting excited for our vacation. We will be going to Namiseom Island for a few days. It is known in Korea for the movies and TV shows that have filmed romantic scenes there. It is a man-made island on a river. From what we have heard from friends it looks and sounds very relaxing.

We are continuing to enjoy the ministry of Uijongbu Baptist Church. We have formed some great friendships there. I know my faith has been growing a lot. God has given me a great friend to do Bible study with and it has been such an encouragement. Cameron has been really enjoying the Game Day that our pastor hosts. He tries out new games from different board game companies. He has 100's of games. We have played some pretty neat games. If you are looking for a great wholesome way to spend time with your family check out some game websites. There are a lot more games out there than I ever realized.

I guess that is about all I have for now.

No comments: